18 January 2021 08:44
Fonteyn 2021 – Online Coaching
Throughout 2020 we have all become used to dance in the digital space and our new format gives you early access to coaching without leaving your home town. The Fonteyn in 2021 will follow a hybrid model of online and in-person experiences, harnessing the best of both worlds and staying true to the creative and collaborative learning ethos of The Fonteyn.
Eligible candidates will receive exclusive one-to-one coaching sessions, online from a range of revered international professionals, delivered in their teachers’ studios. Candidates will receive a 30-minute coaching session for their Classical Variation and 30 minutes for their Dancer’s Own. Ideally, and to get the most out of the experience, these will take place as two separate sessions. This provides a highly personalised and unique experience for each candidate taking part.
Applications must be received by 24 January 2021, and applicants are advised to sign up as soon as possible to secure the best choice of coaching dates.
Find out more about the coaches confirmed so far.
Once candidates have had their coaching sessions, they will be asked to submit two separate videos, one performing their Classical variation and one performing their Dancer’s Own variation.
Selection of finalists
A panel of judges, chaired by RAD President, Dame Darcey Bussell, will review the video submissions against the published criteria and will select up to 16 finalists and up to 5 reserve finalists.
It is our intention that the selected finalists (a minimum of 10 and maximum 16) will be invited to London, England for the competition final. The final will comprise of 3 days of face-to-face coaching and learning a new piece of choreography with our commissioned choreographer. Finalists will, we hope go on to compete on stage at a London theatre.
More information will be available in 2021.
Summary and dates
- Monday 7 December 2020 – Sunday 24 January 2021 (midnight, UK time) Online coaching applications open
- Friday 12 February 2021 – Online coaching slots confirmed
- From Friday 19 February – Sunday 4 April 2021 Eligible candidates receive one-to-one coaching online
- Friday 7 May – Monday May 31 2021 Video submissions open – to be considered as a competition finalist
- Friday 26 June 2021 Candidates are informed of selection results
- Friday 16 July 2021 Deadline for finalists payment and further information submitted for final