Prerequisites and Age Requirements
Information on exam prerequisites and age requirements for exams.
Prerequisite qualifications for entry to vocational graded exams apply as follows:
|Advanced 2||Advanced 1|
|Solo Seal||Advanced 2 (Distinction)|
Equivalent ballet qualifications from the following organizations are accepted:
- British Ballet Organisation (BBO/bbodance)
- British Theatre Dance Association (BTDA)
- National Association of Teachers of Dance (NATD)
- Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD)
- International Dance Teachers’ Association (IDTA)
Where, exceptionally, candidates enter for an exam and the prerequisite in the same session, the award of the exam will be dependent on the prerequisite also being passed.
For more information, please see Entering candidates for exams in our specifications.
It is up to a teacher to identify when a candidate is ready to take an exam. For demonstration classes, the following target ages apply:
|Level 1||2½ – 3½|
|Level 2||3½ – 4½ or 5|
There are age requirements for RAD exams, class awards, solo performance awards and presentation classes.
The minimum age must have been reached by the following date before each exam session:
- 1 January (for exam sessions taking place between January and August); or
- 1 September (for exam sessions taking place between September and December), in the year the exam takes place:
|Pre-Primary in Dance||5|
|Primary in Dance||6|